Don’t you just hate it when you attempt to buy a healthy batch of vegetables at the grocery store, only to have them go bad before you can even eat them? By using these simple tips, you can learn how to prolong the lifespan of your veggies and keep your greens fresher for longer.
- Don’t leave leafy greens on the counter. While many types of produce (such as apples and potatoes) are okay when left out in the kitchen, leafy greens are much delicate and require cooler temperatures for safekeeping.
- Wash them. As soon as you get your greens home, wash them with an all-natural vegetable cleanser and dry with a salad spinner to remove any chemicals, dirt, or pests.
- Remove bad leaves. If you notice any brown spots on your greens, carefully remove them to prevent them from spoiling the whole bunch.
- Don’t store them on a shelf in the refrigerator. Because everything in your refrigerator is not created equally, greens cannot by stored in the same way as, say, Chinese food leftovers. Instead, place them in the designated crisper drawer.
- Plan how you’ll eat them. To prolong their lifespan further, plan to eat fresh salads using greens first and sauté or stir fry them once they near their wilted phases.
Leafy Greens [FreshDirect.com]
How to Store Leafy Greens in the Fridge [The Sprouting Seed]
How to Store Your Leafy Greens to Make Them Last Longer [Eat Local 365]
The menu at Krispy's Fried Chicken and Seafood may be basically—you guessed it—chicken and seafood, but local patrons don't seem to mind. That succinct menu has everything they need to put together a greasy-good feast of classic Southern cuisine. And since the kitchen team here makes everything fresh and to-order, it's hard to go wrong.
The fried chicken, however, is the main event. Order dark or white meat, or a mix of both, in platters ranging from 2 to 24 pieces. Or enjoy your golden brown chicken piled atop fresh waffles. You can also opt for fried catfish or shrimp, if you prefer, which come with fries, salad, and a fluffy roll. Po'boys stuffed with chicken, pork, fish, or shrimp round out the menu at Krispy's—not to mention chicken-fried steak, fried pork chops, and chicken gizzards.
Krispy's Fried Chicken and Seafood
3009 S. Hillside Street
Wichita, KS 67216
The Wichita Art Museum has been part of the city's landscape since 1935, and in the intervening years it has amassed quite a collection of American art. In fact, it now houses more than 8,000 permanent pieces with a special focus on works evoking the Great Plains. They were all gifted to the museum by private donors, making the large collection even more impressive. And you can actually access them all online, too, if you don't have time to visit.
But you will miss out on the visiting exhibits that come to the museum one a regular basis. Recent displays have included a state-centric compendium of photos, No Mountains in the Way, 40 Years Later: Kansas Documentary Photography, as well as Scenery, Story, Spirit: American Painting and Sculpture from the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. So regardless of where your artistic tastes lie, you'll be able to find something intriguing at the Wichita Art Museum.
Wichita Art Museum
1400 W. Museum Boulevard
Wichita, KS 67203
To enter the Sweepstakes, visit our Facebook Page and then look for the Sweepstakes tab (image shown below) located on our Facebook Page to enter. Sweepstakes ends February 29th, 2016. We suggest you like our page to keep informed about future sweepstakes and community happenings.
For mobile users, click here to enter.
At Satya Moon Yoga, everyone is welcome to practice in the way they feel called—regardless of their background as an athlete (or not). If you are a beginner, check out the Yoga Foundations class first. It moves at a slow pace and helps students master the basics of yoga, including the specific poses, alignment, and the way breath factors into both.
For a challenge, opt for a Hot Vinyasa Flow class. In a room heated to about 100 degrees, practitioners flow through a rigorous series of movements that create even more heat within the body. Yet the fast-paced class culminates in a sense of inner peace, as do all the different types of yoga classes at Satya Moon Yoga. You can also opt for a Pilates and Barre class, yoga sculpt with resistance bands incorporated, or restorative yoga, which is more meditative than challenging.
Satya Moon Yoga
8336 E. 21st Street N.
Wichita, KS 67206
While the idea of adding houseplants in your home seems nice, it can sometimes be more difficult than it seems. If you’re ready to throw in the towel (or, rather, the gardening gloves) and accept your non-green thumb, don’t quit just yet: these low-maintenance plants are perfect for people just like you.
- Pothos. Perhaps the most common indoor houseplant, the hearty pothos plant is almost impossible to kill. It thrives in almost any type of light, and it will even grow in long, trailing stems from the ceiling all the way to the floor.
- Spider plant. This plant gets it name because it is shaped like the legs of a spider, and because it works best in medium lighting, it’s ideal for just about any room in your apartment home at Windemere at Tallgrass.
- Areca palm. If you’re looking for a large plant that will make a bit more of an impact, the Areca palm is a great choice. It's very large and vibrant, but it doesn’t require much care.
- English ivy. For something with a classic look, English ivy is just as beautiful as it is low-maintenance. This is an especially great choice for homes with air conditioning, because it prefers lower temperatures.
- Jade plant. If you love succulents (and going weeks between waterings), the thick, sturdy jade plant is for you.
The 15 easiest indoor house plants that won't die on you [Today]
The 13 Houseplants You Can't Kill [Good Housekeeping]
7 Easy-to-Care-for Houseplants [Woman’s Day]
Wichita has a significant legacy when it comes to hamburgers. In 1921, the first burger chain, White Castle, opened its doors. But as of 1938, there are no White Castles in Kansas. What happened? The corporation relocated its headquarters to Columbus, OH in the early 1930s, losing Kansas as its focus as well as its foothold in the growing burger industry.
Given its history, Wichita is still considered a burger town. An ongoing debate among Wichitans is over which restaurant serves the best burger, and to most, it comes down to two: Bomber Burger and TJ’s Burger House. Bomber Burger is located in a modest, low-slung building, and it accepts cash only. Yelpers call the burgers thick (they’re ¾ lb.) and well-seasoned and the staffers “colorful” — they’ve been known to give some good-natured ribbing to diners who can’t finish their burgers. On the other hand, TJ’s is known as an upbeat spot with a 1950s diner vibe, fresh and juicy burgers, and friendly staffers. Why not try both and see which one you like best?
4860 S. Clifton Ave.
Wichita, KS 67216
TJ’s Burger House
1003 W. Douglas Ave.
Wichita, KS 67213
Throughout the U.S, the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy helps communities turn abandoned railroad tracks into pathways used for walking, running, and biking. In Wichita, the Redbud Trail is an example of this. It was built along the former Burlington Northern/Santa Fe railway, running through northeast Wichita, past Wichita State University, intersecting with the K-96 bike path. Plans are underway to expand the trail to Andover, KS. If this happens, it will be about 11 miles long.
This isn’t the only trail slated for expansion. In southwest Wichita, bicyclists will soon be able to ride to Garden Plain, KS, too. The plan is spearheaded by Prairie Travelers, a biking group, and fundraising is currently underway. Many Wichitans are applauding these developments, with many saying it'll allow them to commute to work or class without having to get behind the wheel of a car. If you enjoy biking or running, why not check them out?
I-135 Canal Route
If you’re having a hard time getting a handle on your finances, you might like to get a bit more insight into exactly what type of person you are when it comes to your money. Do you prefer saving your money for a rainy day, or are you the type of person to splurge on an investment item? These fun online quizzes will help you find out!
Spender or Saver?
This straightforward quiz from 7th Mind asks questions about your payday behavior, your credit cards, and your debt in order to determine your spending (and saving) habits. It’s a psychology-based quiz, so expect to gain some insight into how your habits reflect on your personality.
What Kind of Spender Are You?
The Mint’s spending and saving quiz is a bit more in-depth, asking more specific questions and offering a wider variety of answers to really gauge your spending behavior. Because this site is all about financial planning, it also offers some resources that you might find useful once you get your results.
Are You a Spender or a Saver?
Get your finances under control with a bit of help from Money Matters to Me’s spending and saving quiz. If you’re interested in how your own spending habits affect your household and how you might be able to save a bit more here and there, this is the quiz for you!
If you’re looking for a way to add extra storage space to your current freezer, these smart tips may be of service.
- Know what to freeze. Start streamlining what you freeze in the first place by knowing what will last and what won’t. In general, leafy vegetables, dairy products, and fried foods are not meant to freeze.
- Separate items into portions. If you’re freezing something that would otherwise stick together after freezing, such as chicken breasts or soup, separate it into serving-sized portions so that you can easily thaw only the part that you need.
- Use containers. Instead of piling all of your food into one large pile in the freezer, invest in freezer-safe storage containers from the local home goods store.
- Use labels. Label everything in the freezer, from individual food items (unless they’re still in the original packaging) to your storage containers.
- Mind the door. The door of the freezer is the warmest part, so don’t store things that can easily melt on its shelves. Save this space for less delicate foods, such as nuts, alcohol, or frozen fruits.
Fridge and Freezer Organization [The Container Store]
The Best Way to Organize Your Freezer [The Kitchn]
8 Better Ways to Keep Your Freezer Super-Organized [Good Housekeeping]
The menu at The Hungry Heart might seem like an odd mix of options at first, but most customers find that they actually appreciate the eclectic nature of the grub once they actually experience it. So don't be afraid to dabble in different cuisines during your meal at The Hungry Heart. Who says Mexican cuisine, Asian fare, and soul food can't commingle peacefully?
Start off your feast with a plate of the Ahi wonton nachos, which swap out typical tortilla chips for fried wonton skins and showcase cured tuna, worcestshire teriyaki glaze, and garlic aioli. Or dig into JD's Asian wings, which are deep-fried and smothered with a glaze of soy, honey, and white pepper. Save some room for a main dish such as the pulled pork sandwich, the smoked tri-tip, or the Nater's fried chicken—the latter accompanied by a Korean-style salad. You can also opt for fish tacos or Korean short ribs, so no meal at The Hungry Heart looks exactly the same.
The Hungry Heart
222 S. Commerce Street
Wichita, KS 67202
Complimentary monkey bread comes on the side of every brunch dish at Doo-Dah Diner, and even if you're health-conscious, the sweet, sticky treat is worth a splurge. According to customers, it's the best part of the meal. And that's really saying something given that the entire list of breakfast and lunch entrees is top notch.
The crispy corned beef hash is a real hit among regular patrons, perhaps because it showcases juicy chunks of corned beef instead of meager strips. Mixed with onions and bell peppers, potatoes and cheese, and then accompanied by two eggs and toast—plus green chil sauce—it's no wonder the hash is so popular. So is the crab cake Benedict, which comes with the classic poached eggs and Hollandaise, as well as hash browns, grilled asparagus, and jalapeno-bacon crumbles.
206 E. Kellogg
Wichita, KS 67202
You don’t want your little ones to feel afraid of the dark every night at bedtime, which is why every child’s room should contain a fun and functional light that chases away the monsters that live under the bed. Here are three great places to shop for quirky-cute kids’ lighting online.
The Land of Nod
This mega-popular kids’ online retailer offers modern furniture and home decor items that will make your kids’ rooms look a whole lot more stylish. Their selection of kid-friendly lighting sources includes lamps in the shapes of clouds, nightlights with cute faces, and colorful floor lamps that channel classic mid-century designs.
If you’re looking for lights that even quirkier, ModCloth is your online go-to for all things sweet and silly. Check out updated versions of the usual light socket nightlights and retro-inspired wall lights, as well as twinkling string lights that add a festive flair.
From plasma ball lights that produce bolts of electricity wherever you place your fingers to funky, miniature chandeliers and machines that create shooting stars indoors, this unique online retailer offers one of the most creative selections of quirky kids’ lighting.
To enter the Sweepstakes, visit our Facebook Page and then look for the Sweepstakes tab (image shown below) located on our Facebook Page to enter. Sweepstakes ends December 31st, 2015. We suggest you like our page to keep informed about future sweepstakes and community happenings.
For mobile users, click here to enter.
There's really no better place for family fun in Wichita than The Alley Indoor Entertainment, at least if you like to bowl. After all, the establishment is primarily a bowling alley (hence the name). In fact, it's such a popular spot that you could have trouble snagging a lane during peak hours. Even if you do, though, you won't be left without any entertainment. That's because bowling is just part of the equation at The Alley.
It also plays host to a glowing laser tag arena where your kids can burn off calories without even realizing it while they dart around corners and sprint after opponents. The Alley hosts a go-kart racetrack, as well, if your little ones are speed demons. There's a big arcade, too, and if all else fails you can always keep your kids happy with pizza. At The Back Alley sports grill, pizza is always being served and the game is always playing on the projection screen and HDTVs.
The Alley Indoor Entertainment
11413 E. 13th Street
Wichita, KS 67206
If you asked someone what they know about the history of airplanes, they'd probably blurt out something about the Wright brothers and Kitty Hawk, NC. But the people behind the Kansas Aviation Museum know that their home state was right on the heels of North Carolina. Within five years of the Wrights' maiden voyage, Kansans had started launching their own aircraft—and had a successful flight within seven.
At the Kansas Aviation Museum in Wichita, you can learn all about these early airplanes and see many real-life examples of the crafts that came next. One such example is the 1927 swallow, a black aircraft with sunshine-yellow wings that actually crash-landed in 1929. Museum volunteers restored it to its former glory, though, so that you could get a glimpse up close. There are also more modern planes, such as the Boeing 737-200. This aircraft soared through the skies from 1977 until the early 2000s, working as both a private and public jet.
Kansas Aviation Museum
3350 South George Washington Boulevard
Wichita, KS 67210
Do you have a well-made but outdated piece of furniture in your home that you hate to throw away? Luckily, it’s easy to transform that ugly wooden chair or banged-up dresser into something fresh and modern with only a simple coat of paint. Here are a few tips that will save you money on new furniture by showing you how to re-vamp your existing pieces.
- Sand it thoroughly. One of the most important steps when painting furniture is to completely remove the old stain or paint first. Sand the entire piece with a medium-grit sandpaper on an electric sander, or if you don’t own one, get to sanding by hand—just make sure you don’t sand too much and damage the wood underneath.
- Wipe off the residue. After sanding, wipe the entire surface using a tack cloth designed specifically to remove sawdust.
- Prime the piece. Some people say that you don’t need to prime a piece of furniture, but if there’s a chance that the wood might be laminate, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Purchase a primer designed for your specific needs and smooth it on with a foam roller.
- Paint. Apply at least three coats of paint using a different foam roller, allowing at least eight hours of drying time between coats. Once the third coat dries, your furniture will look like new!
The 5 Biggest Mistakes You Make When Painting Furniture [Country Living]
Paint Makeovers: An Expert Tells All [Bob Villa]
Quick Furniture Makeovers for Fashionable Results [Benjamin Moore]
From the refrigerator to the shower, it seems like there’s nothing that baking soda can’t freshen up. Here are just three great ways to incorporate baking soda into your cleaning routine.
- Freshen the fridge. This is by far the easiest way to clean with baking soda, as it really doesn’t involve any cleaning at all. Simply place an opened container of baking soda in the refrigerator, and it will naturally absorb odors and help keep your fridge smelling fresh.
- Unclog a drain. Measure 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of vinegar, then pour each down the drain separately. They will immediately create a bubbling effect and help clear up a clogged drain.
- Remove spots on your walls. If you have scratches and marks on your light-colored walls, mix baking soda and water to create a solution that will remove them with ease. Simply soak up the solution with a soft cloth and get to scrubbing.
21 Cleaning Problems You Can Solve With Baking Soda [Good Housekeeping]
Clean Your Whole House with Vinegar, Baking Soda and Lemon [Earth 911]
Top 10 Cleaning Uses for Baking Soda! [Clean My Space]
If you’re looking for good, old-fashioned pub food with a modern twist, you’ll find it at The Anchor. This popular casual eatery has a sports bar atmosphere, but its menu is much hipper than that. While you’ll certainly find the usual burger and fries, you’ll also notice that The Anchor offers spicy fried jalapeno appetizers, fish tacos, wedge salads, and even a number of vegetarian options.
There is a hearty brunch menu served all day on weekends, as well as a full bar stocked with popular domestic and import drafts. Handcrafted cocktails, like the strawberry margarita, are perfect for dinner, and The Anchor serves mimosas and Bloody Marys at brunchtime. There are frequent food and drink specials throughout the week, as well as the occasional festival and one of the most popular happy hours in town.
1109 E Douglas Street
Wichita, KS 67211
The Sedgwick County Zoo may be smaller than those in many larger cities, but with its diverse selection of animals and its beautiful, lush greenery, it remains one of Wichita's most-loved attractions. Wide walking paths wind their way through areas separated by region and species, including the Far East, the rainforest, and the Australian Outback.
There are wild tigers and elephants housed in areas that mimic their natural habitats, as well as leopards, lions, and other big cats on the prowl. Sheep and camels roam about the plains, while monkeys swing from the trees and make the little ones giggle with their animated play. You’ll even find a large selection of reptiles, including iguanas and lizards.
The zoo is designed to make exploration easy for people of all ages, and it is designed to be very accessible for all. With affordable prices and a tasty food court, you can easily spend the whole day at the zoo!
Sedgwick County Zoo
5555 W Zoo Blvd
Wichita, KS 67212
Whether you’re 16 or 60, everyone needs a great skincare routine to keep their skin looking its best. Pinterest is an entertaining resource for everything that you want to know about skincare, including the best products on the market today. Here are three Pinterest boards that will help you to streamline the way you care for your skin.
If you want to improve your skin without using harsh chemicals, the Organic Skincare board is filled with all natural remedies that really work. These tips recommend organic products like pure coconut oil and raw cane sugar to cure just about any ailment of the skin, and it also offers recipes for masks and cleansers that you can make at home.
From superfoods to help improve your skin from within to the best sunscreens to use on acne-prone skin, this board features tips for improving your skin at all ages. There are also a number of recommendations for the best drugstore skincare products so that you can care for your skin without emptying your wallet.
Browse the Skin Tips Pinterest board by sections like homemade skincare, the best beauty products, and beauty secrets to find the best ways to care for any type of skin. Whether your skin is dry, oily, or acne-prone, this board has a remedy that will improve its look and feel.
To enter the Sweepstakes, visit our Facebook Page and then look for the Sweepstakes tab (image shown below) located on our Facebook Page to enter. Sweepstakes ends October 31, 2015. We suggest you like our page to keep informed about future sweepstakes and community happenings.
For mobile users, click here to enter.
If you’re a fan of sweet, glazed confections, you’ll certainly want to check out Wichita’s The Donut Whole. This combination coffee house, doughnut shop, and art gallery is located in the hip Douglas Design District, and it features a brick facade with a life-sized chicken statue on the roof that you can’t miss.
These doughnuts are made fresh each morning using only local ingredients, so you can feel really good about how they’re made. You’ll find premium coffees and espresso beverages at the shop’s coffee bar, as well as free Wi-Fi throughout the shop for those who want to catch up on emails over coffee and doughnuts.
If you don’t have time to venture inside, The Donut Whole even offers a convenient drive-through window that is open 24 hours a day.
The Donut Whole
1720 E Douglas Ave
Wichita, KS 67214
While technically Mead’s Corner is a charming, cozy cafe, it offers much more than just your typical salads and sandwiches. This popular lunch option also serves high quality, handmade gelato, a bevy of coffee and espresso drinks, and even serves as a live music venue for local music performances.
Stop into Mead's Corner and admire its rustic decor first thing in the morning, then try out one of the fresh-baked muffins, smoothies, or egg burritos for your breakfast. Pair your meal with a local honey latte or an iced frappe, or if you’re not much of a coffee drinker, try out the large selection of teas or the creamy hot chocolate. For lunch, the menu switches over to creative sandwiches and colorful, healthy salads, which you can balance out with a sweet gelato for dessert.
There are small cafe tables and handsome leather chairs throughout, as well as free Wi-Fi if you want to catch up on work while you eat.
430 E Douglas Avenue
Wichita, KS 67202
With hearty portions and affordable prices, Molino’s is a great option for a casual lunch or a lively dinner out with friends. This popular eatery offers a unique fusion of Mexican and Latin American cuisines, from flavorful street tacos to cauliflower ceviche and fresh shrimp fajitas. Order hearty burritos, piratas, and tacos from the expansive menu, then add a refreshing cerveza or a glass of wine to go with your meal. (Many Wichita residents agree that Molino’s has one of the best margaritas in town, but you’ll have to taste one for yourself to see if you agree!)
Inside, the ambiance is bright and laid-back, with colorful local artwork lining the walls and unique details like arched windows and a corrugated ceiling. Spacious tables are large enough for any size party, and the restaurant’s delicious dishes are just as artistic as its decor.
1064 N Waco
Wichita, KS 67203
Want to get in on the industrial-chic trend? You can inject the cool, hip home decor style into your space at Windemere at Tallgrass with help from these popular retailers. A bit of distressed metal here, a dash of reclaimed wood there, and your cozy rental will take on the big-city loft vibe that you’ve always wanted!
Dot & Bo
Although this popular online home goods retailer is best known for its affordable selection of mid-century modern furnishings, it’s also a great resource for finding industrial furniture pieces that look like they came straight from a converted warehouse. Browse metal pendant lights, concrete planters, and even Parsons desks with perfectly weathered wood tops.
This affordable, eclectic housewares store offers an impressive selection of industrial-inspired furniture items that includes wooden beds, coffee tables on rolling casters, and metal bar carts perfect for entertaining.
The name says it all at this popular online retailer. Industrial Home carries what it describes as “a vintage twist on modern industrial living,” which includes a great selection of antique-inspired light fixtures, warm leather sofas and rugged, wooden dining tables that offer that signature loft feel.
There’s nothing cozier than curling up with a book and a warm bowl of soup, and at Wichita’s Watermark Books and Cafe, you can do just that. Founded in 1977, this independent bookstore goes beyond the binding. Aside from selling books, Watermark hosts classes, book clubs, and author events. If you’re looking for a rare or unusual book, you can also check out the sister store, Watermark West, which is located in the shop’s original building.
Watermark Books added the cafe in 1996, when it moved to its current location. On any given day, the pastry selection may include pistachio muffins, French toast scones, and Chai tea muffins. The made-from-scratch soups change daily, as well, with such flavors as tomato bisque and roasted vegetable chili. There are also dessert options like lime white chocolate cupcakes and whiskey peach upside down cake. The cafe opens at 7 a.m. Mondays through Saturdays, one hour before the book store opens for the day.
Watermark Books and Cafe
4701 East Douglas Avenue
Wichita, KS 67218
You’re not exactly a pack rat, but you definitely have more than a few items in the back of your closet that you haven’t looked at in a few years. Most people would say that their homes could benefit from a bit of de-cluttering, and these helpful tips will show you just how to do it.
- Keep papers within reach. By keeping papers within eyesight, you’ll be more likely to deal with your paper mess before it accumulates into something much more difficult to manage.
- Ask a few questions. When you’re going through the items in your home, ask yourself questions like: Have I used this in the past year? Does this benefit my life? Is it broken? If, so can I fix it? If you say no to most of these questions, put it in the donation pile.
- Create a donation pile. Speaking of that donation pile, start one! You’ll feel a lot less guilty about getting rid of your unused items if you know they’re going to someone who will really appreciate them.
- Clear off surfaces. After you clean out hidden spaces like closets and under the bed, make a rule that you’ll always keep surfaces like counters and desks free of clutter. Not only will your home feel more organized, this will ensure that it looks more organized, as well.
18 Five-Minute Decluttering Tips to Start Conquering Your Mess [Zen Habits]
25 Ways to Clean Out the Clutter [Good Housekeeping]
Keep or Toss: Questions & Tips to Help You Declutter [Apartment Therapy]
Located near a popular music venue in Wichita’s Old Town entertainment district, Public at the Brickyard isn’t just a place to enjoy a beer or signature cocktail before an outdoor concert; it’s also the place to share a slice of beef brisket pizza or smoked pork shoulder, all made from ingredients from local farmers and beer crafters. Recover from your weekend by stopping in for Sunday brunch or meet friends for an after-work drink during a happy hour that lasts from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Housed in a refurbished warehouse, the farm-to-table restaurant adds a rustic feel to its industrial charm with vintage bulbs inside clear mason jars and old window frames hung on exposed brick walls. During nicer weather, don’t forget to venture out to the restaurant’s courtyard for fresh air and greenery.
Public at the Brickyard
129 North Rock Island Road
Wichita, Kansas 67202
Some of the best bargains on unique, beautiful fabrics can be found online. Here are just three of the best online resources for designer fabrics for all of your craft projects.
With an easy-to-navigate website that’s almost as beautiful as its large inventory of designer fabrics, it’s easy to see why Spoonflower is one of the most popular online fabric retailers. Designed by indie artists, fabrics are available in designs like tribal prints, geometric patterns, and minimalist flowers, as well as children’s prints perfect for the little ones.
The go-to online hub of anything crafty and handmade, Etsy is also a great resource for designer fabrics. Because the site contains so many individual sellers, you’ll find something for just about any style or project.
Fabric.com sells a wide selection of name brand designers like Liberty of London, Kaufman, and Minky, as well as quilting fabrics and unique textures that may be difficult to find anywhere else. Browse the site by brand name, type of fabric, or even pattern and color, and be sure to check out the impressive clearance section if you’re on a budget.
Among the more than 300 locally-owned businesses in Wichita’s Douglas Design District, The Donut Whole is the one-stop-shop for coffee, doughnuts, art, and music. Three house coffee blends come from beans roasted just down the street, pairing perfectly with more than 40 varieties of doughnuts, including vegan doughnuts. Made from Kansas buttermilk and fried in 100% soybean oil, the doughnuts come topped with everything from peanut butter and marshmallow to crispy bacon or crunchy cookies.
Not a fan of caffeine? Wash down a bite of moist doughnut with a natural soda, boba tea, or made-to-order smoothie. You can get a sweet treat inside the shop from 6 a.m. to midnight or pull through the 24-hour drive through anytime of the day. If you can make it inside, check out exhibitions by local artists inside the shop’s Brown Paper Bag Art Gallery. Stop in Friday or Saturday nights at 8 p.m. to catch live music inside The Donut Whole’s Bantam Lounge.
The Donut Whole
1720 East Douglas Avenue
Wichita, KS 67207
You’ve never had to watch your weight before, but it seems like all of those years of eating whatever you want are suddenly catching up with you. If you’re about to embark on your first diet, use these simple tips to stay on track and maximize results.
- Think about it in the long-term. Instead of thinking of your diet as something that will eventually end, consider it a lifestyle change. That way, you’ll be able to maintain your results and even indulge in the occasional treat.
- Aim for realistic goals. Instead of starting an extreme diet to lose a very large amount of weight each week, set realistic goals that you can safely and healthily meet. For example, aiming to lose 2 pounds per week is a healthy and attainable weight loss goal that will still yield major results.
- Skip the fad diets. Instead of falling for a fad diet that cuts out a major food group or involves complicated meal plans, opt for a healthy diet that includes whole foods and balanced meals.
- Keep it simple. Fill your diet with fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and the occasional healthy whole grains and you’ll have no problem shedding those extra pounds.
Healthy Weight Loss and Dieting Tips [HelpGuide.org]
The 25 Best Diet Tricks of All Time [Health]
Jillian Michaels: Weight-Loss Tips That Work [Health]
One step into the Museum of World Treasures takes you out of present day Wichita and into ancient civilizations and the battlefields of World War I. A number of exhibits reside inside the multi-level museum, including an extensive military history exhibit. Meet Ivan, the Tyrannosaurus rex, come face to face with Buddha, or gaze at mummies from ancient Egypt.
Guided group tours help visitors meander through the museum, and seasonal speaking events educate guests on various topics related to science, history, and the arts. The museum offers a number of other educational events, including coffee with the curator, an informal lecture with coffee on the last Thursday of every month.
Admission to the museum is less than $10 with children three and under admitted for free. The museum is open daily until 5 p.m.
Museum of World Treasures
835 East 1st Street
Wichita, KS 67202
Whether you walk to work or simply take a stroll around the neighborhood at night, walking is a great way to improve your health in a relaxing, enjoyable way. Here are just a few of the health benefits of walking — and reasons why you should incorporate more walking into your daily routine.
- It improves your cardiovascular health. While many people think of running when they think of cardiovascular exercise, the moderate exercise of walking also lowers blood pressure, prevents obesity, and helps improve your overall cardiovascular health.
- It improves your mental health. Like all exercise, walking helps improve your mental health and reduces stress by taking you outside and away from your usual routine.
- It regulates your weight. You might think that you need to exhaust yourself in order to lose weight, but that’s not necessarily true. Moderate exercises, like walking, also help maintain a healthy weight.
- It reduces the risk of cancer. Surprisingly, the health benefits of walking also help to prevent certain types of cancers, including breast and colon cancer.
- It reduces the risk of diabetes. Walking regularly can even prevent non-insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetes.
The Benefits of Walking [American Heart Association]
Walking…A Step in the Right Direction! [NIH]
Walking: Your Steps to Health [Harvard]
Wichita locals aren’t the only ones who get to enjoy Pig in Pig Out Barbeque. Though it may be located in the city, the restaurant also travels the region competing in barbecue contests. One look at the restaurant walls, bedecked in framed awards and colorful ribbons, and you’ll know how the rest of the area feels about its food, too.
The restaurant keeps its focus is on the food and keeps the rest of it casual. It features a simple, Southern fare menu of pulled pork sandwiches, ham by the pound, and ribs. Each dinner includes two heaping sides parceled out on three-section cafeteria plates.
Add flavor to any party with catered meals picked from Pig in Pig Out’s extensive catering menu. The restaurant may not be open on Sundays and Mondays, but catering is available seven days a week. Custom orders and special requests are welcomed.
Pig in Pig Out Barbeque
1003 East 13th Street
Wichita, KS 67214
Il Vicino has been bringing a little piece of Italy to Wichita since 1992 through artisanal wood-fired pizzas, Italian sodas, and handmade paninis on focaccia bread. The brainchild of Greg Arkin, Rick Post, and Tom White, the first Il Vicino opened in Albuquerque and has since grown to 10 locations, two of which are found in Wichita.
Fifteen different pizzas come with such toppings as roasted red peppers, goat cheese, or fiery shrimp. A selection of fine wines or a glass of hand-crafted root beer enhance each dish, and a selection of desserts, including a tiramisu or rich cannoli, complete the dining experience.
Both Wichita locations boast warm tones on walls stocked with beverage bottles and patio tables that offer al fresco dining. Both locations also feature large wood-burning ovens decorated with mosaic tiles or pieces of stacked wood.
Il Vicino Wood Oven Pizza
4817 East Douglas Avenue
Wichita, KS 67218
The Sedgwick County Zoo has been the place for exploration and education in Wichita since 1971. Much has changed over the past few decades with the addition of a reptile building, chimpanzee habitat, and jungle among others. Much of the zoo is sectioned off by continent and features more than 3,000 animals including grizzly bears, elephants, and tiger cubs. You can get up close to the giraffes at the giraffe feeding station or walk across a suspended bridge while gazing at colorful macaws.
You can find more fun during one of the zoo’s signature events, which include an Easter Eggstravaganza and Father’s Day car show. Kids can continue their education during summer classes offered weekdays at the Cargill Learning Center. The zoo also offers birthday party packages and serves as an unforgettable wedding venue.
Sedgwick County Zoo
5555 Zoo Boulevard
Wichita, KS 67212
Walk into any eclectic home in Wichita and you may find something purchased at Bungalow 26. Located in the Delano District, this shop specializes in home decor while also offering custom floral and interior design consultations. The shop also stocks luxe body products, like lip balm, egg white facial soap, and soy body lotion from various product lines, including a natural, in-house brand. Bungalow 26 doesn’t just take care of the skin; it also dresses the body with purses and handcrafted jewelry from the in-store jewelry boutique, Pretty Reckless.
Inside the shop, a diverse array of products is showcased on old dressers, ladders, coffee tables—even old kitchen chairs. The decor gives off a chic rustic feel with a vintage typewriter, exposed brick, and chandeliers dangling from wooden rafters. Strands of holiday lights wrap around branches, and light pours in through the shop’s storefront window, often decorated with items for sale.
613b West Douglas Avenue
Wichita, KS 67213
Tossing some throw pillows onto your sofa seems like a no-brainer, but if you want to create a designer-worthy look, it requires a little effort. Here are a few genius ways to choose the right pillows and arrange them on your couch in the most flattering way.
- Create symmetry. Begin by choosing two anchor pillows in a pattern or shade that matches the rest of your sofa. These will go on either end to create a balanced effect.
- Mix and match. To avoid a drab look, choose a few more pillows in varying shapes, sizes and patterns, keeping in mind the main color that ties it all together.
- Add texture. Add at least one textured pillow in a fabric like faux fur, cable knit, or velvet.
- Use odd numbers. Most designers agree that using an odd number of pillows is usually best, as it helps you to create a lived-in look that is easy to rearrange again and again. Line them up across the whole sofa, or add more on one side and less on the other.
- Think of the sofa’s usage. If your sofa has to accommodate a large number of people, choose smaller pillows or use less of them. If it’s more for show, feel free to go wild with pillows.
9 Pointers for Perfectly Styled Pillows [Houzz]
Throw Pillows: 4 Tips to Style Your Sofa [HuffPost Home]
Tips On Choosing Throw Pillows [DécorLove]
Newport grill offers some of the freshest, most elegant seafood and steak entrees in Wichita. Executive chef Aaron Whitcomb tops a filet mignon with lobster tail and a zinfandel demi-glace. He also pairs Norwegian salmon with house-made ricotta ravioli and pine nuts. His freshly caught, sustainable, and wild seafood is flown in six days a week. Each entree isn’t just a meal; it’s an opportunity for the chef to display a piece of art as each item of food is carefully and creatively plated.
Set along the water in the Bradley Fair shopping center, Newport Grill features a nautical-themed interior with sleek blue booths, porthole mirrors hung on the wall, and a rich brown interior. Beneath the rippled ceiling of the contemporary bar, mixologists craft signature cocktails with house-infused spirits. They also serve martinis, which are only $5 on Tuesdays. Outside, orange umbrellas shade a sophisticated patio that overlooks the water.
1900 North Rock Road
Wichita, KS 67206
Incorporating throw pillows into your bedroom or living room is a cheap and easy way to update a home’s decor, but with the overwhelming number of options, it may be intimidating to choose the perfect ones. Here are a few tips to help you choose the best throw pillows for your space.
- Consider the size. Are you purchasing throw pillows for a standard-sized couch or your king-sized bed? The size of the space makes a big difference when choosing the perfect pillows, so be sure to consider sizes before purchasing. Eighteen-inch square pillows are best suited for a bed or sofa, while oversized pillows of 24 inches or larger create a more lounge-style feel in a living room.
- Choose a color scheme. Black and white throw pillows create a mod effect, while bright shades of pink, green, or blue liven up a drab space. Even if you plan on purchasing patterned pillows, stick with one singular color scheme for a designer-worthy look.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match. Get creative by mixing and matching different sizes, shapes, and patterns. If you stick to your chosen color scheme, it’s easy to pull off a more eclectic look.
- Add pillows in unexpected places. Toss some large, cushion-style pillows on the floor, add some in a window nook, or place one on a desk chair for a cozy feel.
Decorating With Throw Pillows [Real Simple]
Tips On Choosing Throw Pillows [Décor Love]
How to Choose Decorative Pillows for the Living Room [Overstock]
With a facade festooned with a metal rooster, it's easy to mistake The Donut Whole as a simple place to snag doughnuts and coffee. But once you step inside, you'll see that there's more than meets the eye. On Friday and Saturday nights, The Donut Whole hosts live music free of charge. Expect to see jazz musicians, singer/songwriters, cover bands, and oldies acts take the stage.
And, The Donut Whole also has an art gallery, dubbed the Brown Paper Bag Gallery. Artwork created by local artists goes up on the last Friday of every month and stays up until the end of the following month, and most of it is for sale. So, if you see something that strikes your fancy, don't hesitate to ask about it.
Even though there's a lot going on at The Donut Whole, most customers come in for just one reason — the doughnuts. There are more than 40 varieties available every day, made with locally sourced ingredients, including Kansas buttermilk and dairy products originating from nearby Stafford County. The hands-down favorite is the maple bacon doughnut, but the S'mores Sandwich Cookie doughnut and the peanut butter and grape have plenty of fans, too.
The Donut Whole
1720 E. Douglas Ave.
Wicita, KS 67214
Check back for full reviews of the best places to eat in your area. Thanks!
Check back for helpful information about pop culture, recipes, health and fitness, and much more! Thanks!
Regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It can help:
- Control your weight
- Reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Reduce your risk of some cancers
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve your mental health and mood
- Improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you’re an older adult
- Increase your chances of living longer
With all those benefits, why not get moving? All it takes to get started is to put on some sneaks and visit our fitness center that’s conveniently located right here at Windemere at Tallgrass.
Welcome to the Windemere at Tallgrass blog!
To facilitate our commitment to providing a high level of service, we’ve created this community website just for our residents.
This site was established to improve communication as well as build a sense of community. It gives us a centralized place to post notices about upcoming events or specials offered by our apartment community. In addition, well be posting information that will help you get more familiar with the resources in your neighborhood, including nearby restaurants and things to do.
We know that everyone has communication preferences, and for this reason, you’ll be able to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, email feed or simply visit this website.
Of course, we’d love your feedback. Participate in our polls or leave a comment with us and tell us what you think.