Il Vicino has been bringing a little piece of Italy to Wichita since 1992 through artisanal wood-fired pizzas, Italian sodas, and handmade paninis on focaccia bread. The brainchild of Greg Arkin, Rick Post, and Tom White, the first Il Vicino opened in Albuquerque and has since grown to 10 locations, two of which are found in Wichita.
Fifteen different pizzas come with such toppings as roasted red peppers, goat cheese, or fiery shrimp. A selection of fine wines or a glass of hand-crafted root beer enhance each dish, and a selection of desserts, including a tiramisu or rich cannoli, complete the dining experience.
Both Wichita locations boast warm tones on walls stocked with beverage bottles and patio tables that offer al fresco dining. Both locations also feature large wood-burning ovens decorated with mosaic tiles or pieces of stacked wood.
Il Vicino Wood Oven Pizza
4817 East Douglas Avenue
Wichita, KS 67218
The Sedgwick County Zoo has been the place for exploration and education in Wichita since 1971. Much has changed over the past few decades with the addition of a reptile building, chimpanzee habitat, and jungle among others. Much of the zoo is sectioned off by continent and features more than 3,000 animals including grizzly bears, elephants, and tiger cubs. You can get up close to the giraffes at the giraffe feeding station or walk across a suspended bridge while gazing at colorful macaws.
You can find more fun during one of the zoo’s signature events, which include an Easter Eggstravaganza and Father’s Day car show. Kids can continue their education during summer classes offered weekdays at the Cargill Learning Center. The zoo also offers birthday party packages and serves as an unforgettable wedding venue.
Sedgwick County Zoo
5555 Zoo Boulevard
Wichita, KS 67212
Walk into any eclectic home in Wichita and you may find something purchased at Bungalow 26. Located in the Delano District, this shop specializes in home decor while also offering custom floral and interior design consultations. The shop also stocks luxe body products, like lip balm, egg white facial soap, and soy body lotion from various product lines, including a natural, in-house brand. Bungalow 26 doesn’t just take care of the skin; it also dresses the body with purses and handcrafted jewelry from the in-store jewelry boutique, Pretty Reckless.
Inside the shop, a diverse array of products is showcased on old dressers, ladders, coffee tables—even old kitchen chairs. The decor gives off a chic rustic feel with a vintage typewriter, exposed brick, and chandeliers dangling from wooden rafters. Strands of holiday lights wrap around branches, and light pours in through the shop’s storefront window, often decorated with items for sale.
613b West Douglas Avenue
Wichita, KS 67213
Tossing some throw pillows onto your sofa seems like a no-brainer, but if you want to create a designer-worthy look, it requires a little effort. Here are a few genius ways to choose the right pillows and arrange them on your couch in the most flattering way.
- Create symmetry. Begin by choosing two anchor pillows in a pattern or shade that matches the rest of your sofa. These will go on either end to create a balanced effect.
- Mix and match. To avoid a drab look, choose a few more pillows in varying shapes, sizes and patterns, keeping in mind the main color that ties it all together.
- Add texture. Add at least one textured pillow in a fabric like faux fur, cable knit, or velvet.
- Use odd numbers. Most designers agree that using an odd number of pillows is usually best, as it helps you to create a lived-in look that is easy to rearrange again and again. Line them up across the whole sofa, or add more on one side and less on the other.
- Think of the sofa’s usage. If your sofa has to accommodate a large number of people, choose smaller pillows or use less of them. If it’s more for show, feel free to go wild with pillows.
9 Pointers for Perfectly Styled Pillows [Houzz]
Throw Pillows: 4 Tips to Style Your Sofa [HuffPost Home]
Tips On Choosing Throw Pillows [DécorLove]