You’ve never had to watch your weight before, but it seems like all of those years of eating whatever you want are suddenly catching up with you. If you’re about to embark on your first diet, use these simple tips to stay on track and maximize results.
- Think about it in the long-term. Instead of thinking of your diet as something that will eventually end, consider it a lifestyle change. That way, you’ll be able to maintain your results and even indulge in the occasional treat.
- Aim for realistic goals. Instead of starting an extreme diet to lose a very large amount of weight each week, set realistic goals that you can safely and healthily meet. For example, aiming to lose 2 pounds per week is a healthy and attainable weight loss goal that will still yield major results.
- Skip the fad diets. Instead of falling for a fad diet that cuts out a major food group or involves complicated meal plans, opt for a healthy diet that includes whole foods and balanced meals.
- Keep it simple. Fill your diet with fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and the occasional healthy whole grains and you’ll have no problem shedding those extra pounds.
Healthy Weight Loss and Dieting Tips [HelpGuide.org]
The 25 Best Diet Tricks of All Time [Health]
Jillian Michaels: Weight-Loss Tips That Work [Health]
One step into the Museum of World Treasures takes you out of present day Wichita and into ancient civilizations and the battlefields of World War I. A number of exhibits reside inside the multi-level museum, including an extensive military history exhibit. Meet Ivan, the Tyrannosaurus rex, come face to face with Buddha, or gaze at mummies from ancient Egypt.
Guided group tours help visitors meander through the museum, and seasonal speaking events educate guests on various topics related to science, history, and the arts. The museum offers a number of other educational events, including coffee with the curator, an informal lecture with coffee on the last Thursday of every month.
Admission to the museum is less than $10 with children three and under admitted for free. The museum is open daily until 5 p.m.
Museum of World Treasures
835 East 1st Street
Wichita, KS 67202
Whether you walk to work or simply take a stroll around the neighborhood at night, walking is a great way to improve your health in a relaxing, enjoyable way. Here are just a few of the health benefits of walking — and reasons why you should incorporate more walking into your daily routine.
- It improves your cardiovascular health. While many people think of running when they think of cardiovascular exercise, the moderate exercise of walking also lowers blood pressure, prevents obesity, and helps improve your overall cardiovascular health.
- It improves your mental health. Like all exercise, walking helps improve your mental health and reduces stress by taking you outside and away from your usual routine.
- It regulates your weight. You might think that you need to exhaust yourself in order to lose weight, but that’s not necessarily true. Moderate exercises, like walking, also help maintain a healthy weight.
- It reduces the risk of cancer. Surprisingly, the health benefits of walking also help to prevent certain types of cancers, including breast and colon cancer.
- It reduces the risk of diabetes. Walking regularly can even prevent non-insulin-dependent Type 2 diabetes.
The Benefits of Walking [American Heart Association]
Walking…A Step in the Right Direction! [NIH]
Walking: Your Steps to Health [Harvard]
Wichita locals aren’t the only ones who get to enjoy Pig in Pig Out Barbeque. Though it may be located in the city, the restaurant also travels the region competing in barbecue contests. One look at the restaurant walls, bedecked in framed awards and colorful ribbons, and you’ll know how the rest of the area feels about its food, too.
The restaurant keeps its focus is on the food and keeps the rest of it casual. It features a simple, Southern fare menu of pulled pork sandwiches, ham by the pound, and ribs. Each dinner includes two heaping sides parceled out on three-section cafeteria plates.
Add flavor to any party with catered meals picked from Pig in Pig Out’s extensive catering menu. The restaurant may not be open on Sundays and Mondays, but catering is available seven days a week. Custom orders and special requests are welcomed.
Pig in Pig Out Barbeque
1003 East 13th Street
Wichita, KS 67214